Monday, January 10, 2011

Sushi!

Sushi is wonderful, and super easy to make.

You need:
Seaweed paper, sushi rice, and rice wine vinegar, and a sushi mat (all of which you can easily find in Asian sections at most shops, or any Asian grocers)
and whatever you want to put in them.


We used:
Carrot, peeled into strips with a vegetable peeler
Cucumber, cut into long sticks
Lettuce, which we just ripped up as we wanted
Chicken, coated in flour and then fried
Avocado, cut into strips
and mayonnaise (you're supposed to use Japanese mayo but we couldn't find any)

Cook the rice as per packet instructions (Something like one cup of washed rice to one and a half cups water brought to boil and then simmered until no water is left, then let to sit for ten minutes) Then add a tbsp of vinegar at a time until its a bit sticky and tastes okay (the vinegar taste shouldn't be too strong, but present) I'm sure there's a proper amount you should add which you could find on the internets, but I just estimate.

Then get your sushi mat and seaweed ready and spread some of the cooled rice over it leaving a few cm on one edge, then put your filling in along the side opposite it.

If you put too much stuff in its really hard to roll up, so try to restrain yourself (I know its really hard, but rolling a fat sushi roll is harder). Then (using the sushi mat to help) roll it up as tightly and evenly as you can. (There are probably youtube videos that could help with technique)

We ate it straight away but its pretty nice if you refridgerate it for a bit before consuming so it cools down, however the seaweed gets a soggy and not as nice quite quickly..

Its also really nice with strips of fried tofu, and spring onions, chives, even tomato or ANYTHING you want to put in it. I guess its supposed to be a bit asian themed but I'm sure you could even make ham tomato and olive ones if you wanted.

8 comments:

  1. Yum! And it is just the weather for sushi too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from Joy's blog and enjoying a lot everything here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sushi is one of my favourite foods in the world. I could happily eat sushi at any time of the day. Yours look great. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the idea of sushi; it is just so healthy and fresh. I just don't really like the seaweed taste of the seaweed paper. Is there an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, why don't I appear as a follower? I used to I am sure. Have you disappeared me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know Jan! I don't remember you ever being a follower.. But I'm not nearly as knowledgable with blogspot as I am with facebook so I have no idea whatsoever!

    You could probably use rice paper instead of seaweed, or you can buy sheets of tofu, I'm not sure what they're called or where to get them (My mum would probably know!) they would be a lot more fragile but probably very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Mom sent me callin'. I'm so glad she did. I love what you are doing here and I'll definitely be back. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopped by to say hi from your Mom's blog! Good job on the sushi - bet it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete