Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Curry

Another really great, cheap, easy meal.

My general base is:
A potato or two (or three, or four, depending how much you want to make)
A carrot or two
An onion
Brocolli or cauliflower
A big tin of coconut cream
A small amount of chicken stock (1/4cup ish?)
Chicken peas, I used a tin of them but fresh ones are nicer!

Now, I use my mums curry powder which she makes from her own ground up spices, I have no idea whats in it, but its delicious.
I'm sure you could use any other kind of store bought curry powder or paste, or make a mix of your favourite ground spices to put in.
I also used one chili from my garden, but you don't need to put one in. Mine was pretty little and isn't very hot, it just gave it a little kick.

Cut the potato and carrot into cubes, around 1cmsq but whatever you want really.
Dice the onion.
Heat some oil in a large frypan or saucepan and saute the onion.
Then add the chilli and curry powder and cook a little more.

Then add the stock and vegetables and cook off for a while, until they start to soften.
Then add the coconut cream and chickpeas and cook furthur, until the vegies are cooked and its gotten nice and thick.

Once the coconut cream has gone in I started cooking the rice to go with it, you can do whatever you want with it.

And that's about it! You can substitute pretty much anything in it if you wanna make changes.

5 comments:

  1. That's the recipe I enjoy having on my table :) Thanks for sharing ;) Just one doubt: can I use coonut milk instead of cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta say I have no idea! I don't think it would matter, but I imagine it wouldn't be as creamy and wouldn't thicken so much.

    (Mum, if you see this, whats your knowledge on cream vs. milk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In tins of coconut cream or milk sold here, it is a bit of a lottery how thick and creamy they are. I agree that coconut milk would work perfectly. You probably get it fresher and lovelier in Brazil Claudia?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, dear Joy. Here in Brazil we just find coconut milk. We use it a lot in so many dishes here and we can buy it everywhere here, fresh or bottled.

    Thanks for the hint ;)

    By the way, this blog is simply great! Good and easy recipes and nice pictures of them :D Very good job!

    ReplyDelete