Friday, January 21, 2011

Apple cheesecake with Caramel

My wonderful Aunt Naomi gave me some money for housewarming/christmas to get some more things the house needed, I figured even though I don't make cheesecake very often, it would be wise to have a spring form tin just in case.

I went to the General Trader at Chadstone and got a big one, 22" I think. But also two really small cute ones.
So figured I better make some cheesecake to use them!


My recipe is:
500g cream cheese
300ml sour cream
3/4cup caster sugar
3 eggs

Put the cheese, cream and sugar in a food processor and process it, then add one egg at a time and process til its nice and smooth.

For the base I use a packet of chocolate ripple biscuits or marie biscuits crushed up with 100g of melted butter and then press it into the base, then refrigerated.

From here, you can add anything you want. Take a third of the cheese mix and add melted chocolate, then dollop it over the plain mix and marble it. Add a swirl of stewed fruits. Once set put some jelly over the top. Make the entire thing chocolate. Add crushed oreos for cookies and cream cheesecake.
Really, anything you can think of a way of doing, you can do it. I'm not promising it'll turn out good though :P

Have the oven preheated to 160. Put the cheese mix in the base and bake on the bottom shelf for about an hour, depending on the size of the tin and such. Just make sure the middle is set.

For mine, I stewed some sliced apples in a stock syrup with cinnamon, and lay them over the base under the cheese mix. I didn't think of it at the time but it would have been really great with cinnamon syrup swirled through as well.

I made caramel to go with the cheesecake:
1 1/2 cups caster sugar, 125ml water, 2/3cup brown sugar, and 300 ml cream.
Sugar and water in saucepan over low heat until dissolved, then high/medium heat until boiled, then boil on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Then add the brown sugar, then remove from heat and add cream, then put back on heat and cook for a couple of minutes.

I don't think I boiled mine for long enough the first time, I got impatient and 'cause we use raw caster sugar it was hard to tell if it was getting too dark.. so it wasn't very thick, but still tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment