Thursday, November 25, 2010

Alice in Wonderland cake

A friend of mine had an Alice in wonderland themed party, and it has kind of become my trademark to make cupcakes for peoples birthdays.

I'd heard and seen about so called 'topsy turvey cakes' and decided that it would be perfect for my AIW cake.
I made 3 cakes, 2 quite large, but thin-ish triple chocolate ones, and one smaller, taller white chocolate and rainbow. The cakes were made using this recipe, but you can use whatever you want.

For the triple chocolate cakes I added extra cocoa, and chocolate chips (dark and milk).
And for the white chocolate I didn't add cocoa and put white chocolate chips in, and when putting in the tin I took a 4 spoons of batter into 4 bowls and added colours, then fill a tin half full with the plain batter, put the colours on around it, then top with the rest of the plain batter, then swirl around with a knife.

Once cooked I froze them to make them easier to cut.
Heres a video of how to make it topsy turvey, because I tried and failed at explaining it myself. I just did 2 quite small layers compared to the video, with the triple chocolate on bottom and the white chocolate on top.



Once the cake was assembled I covered it all with white chocolate ganache.

To decorate it, I made chocolate cards. I got a pack of playing cards, and using a piping bag with a really thin nozzle I piped dark chocolate over the design, you have to get the chocolate to a particular temperature. Too hot and it will just spread out and not keep to the shape of the design, but too cool and it won't pipe easily. I don't remember how I did it, but once you melt the chocolate just let it sit for a minute or two until its still quite runny but not super hot.

Once they're completely hard spread white chocolate over the back, and let harden again. The cards quite easily just peeled off for me, but if you use really papery cards it might be worth greasing them a little.

I cut hearts out of strawberries, and piped pink white chocolate ganache on the top in hearts too, then drizzled dark chocolate over them.
I places the chocolate cards on the front, and some tic-toc biscuits on the back. And piped a Happy Birthday message on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment