Thursday, December 30, 2010

Miso soup

This is so so easy and completely delicious. We make it when we just need a quick meal or need to use up vegies in the fridge.
You can find miso paste at supermarkets and probably at asian shops as well.

We used:
Miso paste
Carrot
Brocolli
Pak choy
tofu
mushrooms
wonton wrappers

But really you can put just about anything in it, or even just have it as a broth. (its awesome when you're sick)

I chopped everything up small and cut the wonton wrappers into thirds.
Start off by putting a pot of water to heat, just however much soup you want = how much water to use. I'm pretty sure there's an exact measurement for miso to water ratio, but once the water is hot I just put a big spoonful in and taste it, then add more if needed. It should be quite salty and dark brown with a kind of cloudy look. Pretty much just make it however strong you want.

Then I added the carrots 'cause they take the longest to cook. Then started to heat a frypan with a whole lot of butter (by a whole lot I mean maybe a tbsp or a little more) I fried the tofu and mushrooms in that until they were all browned and delicious.

After the carrots been cooking a few minutes add the broccoli, and then a couple minutes after that add the pak choy. I cut up the little inside leaves of the pak choy into long strips to look nice, and the larger outside leaves in little slices. The leafy bits take the least time to cook, but the white fleshy bit takes a bit longer.

At the very end I added the wonton wrappers. Add them one by one in different spots in the soup or they'll all stick together, that might happen anyway but this will prevent it.

Lastly I added the fried tofu and mushrooms. When I serve it I usually use tongs to divide out the vegies, and then ladel the broth over the top.

Voila!

3 comments:

  1. But ofcourse my comment should have been......


    YOU COOKED THE CAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahha!
    Yes when I saw Miso that night I said "Oh hey Miso, we had you for dinner"

    ReplyDelete