Monday, December 27, 2010

Homemade Vanilla essence

You will need:
Some small jars or bottles
Vanilla pods (at least one per jar)
Vodka

I just found some little jars at a $2 shop, but only because I couldn't find them anywhere else and I was running out of time. You can find some really nice ones on Ebay and other websites.
I got 5 vanilla pods from a nut shop, and a bottle of vodka.


Cut the vanilla pods in half longways, and then in half again (or just to whatever fits well in the jars) and put the pieces in the jars. I had 4 jars and put 1 1/4 pod in each one.

Top up the jar with vodka, and thats it.

I put glad wrap over the tops underneath the lids, and then wrapping paper tied with ribbon. But if the lids are really tight that's not necessary. (except to make it look pretty)

Then you leave them for at least a month, after that they're good to go.
I'm not sure, but I've read that you can just top up the jars with vodka once they're running low, and then leave them a few more weeks for the vanilla to infuse.

I made them for my family for christmas, and they're a perfect gift. And its very easy to make a lot all at once.

2 comments:

  1. thats kinda awesome i will have to try this

    ReplyDelete
  2. This certainly was a lovely gift Rose. And I have managed to get it back safely to Central Victoria. I will tell you what it is like to use in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete